Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Essex Serpent

The Essex SerpentThe Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an interesting book. Not at all what I was expecting, but I would recommend it. From the synopsis I thought I would get more of a "The Lie Tree" vibe, but this was really more of an exploration of how a set of characters' lives intersected and changed over the course of a year. The fact that the year also coincided with the mysterious "sighting" of the Essex Serpent seemed just that--a coincidence. Despite the book being different from what I thought it would be, it was still a good book with interesting characters and their journeys over the year was compelling. The setting and descriptions drew me in. I stayed up much too late just so I could finish and find out what would happen to everyone in the end. Although this was not really a dark gothic tale of Victorian supernatural mysteries, I would recommend it.


View all my reviews

No comments: