Tuesday, May 22, 2018

S.T.A.G.S.

S.T.A.G.S.S.T.A.G.S. by M.A.  Bennett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a quick, enjoyable read. Even though the narrator, Greer, lets the reader know right from the beginning that a murder occurs because she has to endure some terrible things, the story manages to unfold with quite a bit of excitement, uncertainty, and suspense. We know that the group of "Medievals" who invite Greer and the others to their palatial estate for the weekend are not going to treat them well. We know that Harry is going to turn out to be a villain and perhaps meet a bad end. But knowing all of that did not hurt my enjoyment of the story at all.
Greer was a great character. She was self-deprecating, funny, and easy to identify with. When she made stupid decisions she would even say to the reader, "I know it sounds dumb--I don't know what I was thinking!"
The story has an ominous, foreboding feel and I had a hard time putting the book down. As Greer and the other chosen few Chanel and Shafeen "hunt" with the fabulously rich and privileged, the plot became more intriguing.
I also enjoyed all of Greer's film references. Although the author did a great job with the setting and descriptions, adding in a comparison to various films helped cement the scene in my mind.
I did feel as though the last bit was a little too easy. (view spoiler)
I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, but the denouement and epilogue could have been done a little bit better in my opinion. Overall, though, this was good book.


View all my reviews

No comments: