Thursday, May 24, 2018

Beyond A Darkened Shore

Beyond a Darkened ShoreBeyond a Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book had an interesting premise and I was very excited to read it. As a former history teacher with an interest in Celtic mythology, this book seemed to be right up my alley. The more I read, though, the more dissatisfied I became.
The main character Ciara started out as a strong female hero, but became a bit whiny and hard to identify with as the story progressed. Her inability to trust Leif became tiresome, and her ready acceptance of supernatural occurrences felt a little too easy. Ciara was continually being beat up, burned, and injured and yet seemed to feel no pain.
The book was a quick read, and I did enjoy it, but if more time had been spent developing Ciara's character and her relationships, instead of telling the reader about Ciara and those around her, this book would have been amazing.


View all my reviews


No comments: