Monday, May 14, 2018

These Shallow Graves

This was I think the first print ARC I ever got. I thought it was the neatest thing ever! And I enjoyed the book, too!

These Shallow GravesThese Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This historical mystery was a very enjoyable read. It contained just the right amount of suspense and history, and added a touch of romance. The author did a great job of relating the details of society at the time, so not only did we understand what Jo, the heroine, was facing as a young upper-class woman, but the reader also gained insight into the plight of the lower-classes in New York. The mystery built over time, with several spine-tingling moments and many harrowing and nail-biting events. The book was every so slightly dark, and the explanations of early forensic medicine were a great addition. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it. A wonderful historical mystery.
There were two factors that kept me from giving the book 5 stars. The first is that in the beginning, the romance feels a little rushed or forced. I did not pick up on the chemistry between Jo and her new love-interest. It moved from slight acquaintances to love just too fast. I also felt that many of the "clues" in the book were very obvious, to the point that I just wanted to yell at Jo, "Don't you get it?!" Without revealing any spoilers, the final climax was well-done, but many of the clues that brought the characters to that point were almost glaring.
Some may feel that some aspects of the denouement were a little too convenient, but I personally felt that they were a nice touch and added to an "almost happy ending."
Overall the things that I did not like about the book would not keep me from reading it again, or recommending it to others. This book was an exciting thriller that also taught me something about New York and it's people--a great book!


View all my reviews

No comments: