Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood #1)

The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed the journey that this book took me on, although it would be difficult to describe it as just one thing. The author creates a dark contemporary coming-of-age fairy tale/fantasy that was interesting to read.
The first several chapters were very creepy and the author did a great job of evoking a sense of foreboding. Once Alice and Finch began their journey to the Hazel Wood eldritch occurrences and unnatural events made me feel unsettled and yet anxious to know what would happen next.
Alice was an engaging character and it was easy to feel connected with her. She felt young and fresh yet with an "old soul." And I could say the same for the whole book.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a dark fairy tale, a contemporary fantasy, a coming-of-age story or a YA novel.


View all my reviews

No comments: