Tuesday, May 22, 2018

City of Lies (Counterfeit Lady #1)

City of Lies (Counterfeit Lady, #1)City of Lies by Victoria Thompson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I had a very hard time getting into this book. Even with everything going on--scams, con artists on the run, arrests, hunger strikes--I just didn't feel drawn into the action. I also didn't feel a connection with Elizabeth, and had a hard time understanding why she would put herself in unnecessary danger by going all-in with the suffragists and participating in the hunger strike. I felt as though I didn't understand her motives and therefore could not get a sense of why she was feeling what she was feeling and doing what she was doing. When I put the book down I did not get that sense of "I can't wait until I can start reading this again." I found I did not care about the characters or what happened to them. This is not a book I would recommend.


View all my reviews

No comments: