Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Girl of Myth and Legend (The Chosen Saga #1)

Girl of Myth and Legend (The Chosen Saga #1)Girl of Myth and Legend by Giselle Simlett
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This book sounded very promising and I was intrigued until the main character Leonie became so unlikeable that I had no desire to finish the book. Several pages in Leonie showed herself to be so sarcastic with her father--when she supposedly believed he was having a break with reality--that I became annoyed with her and wanted to tell her to treat her father with more respect and sensitivity. I pressed on, however, despite my misgivings. The author repeatedly told the reader (instead of showing) that Leonie was "bold," or refreshingly frank, but it just came across as rude, selfish, and childish. It was very hard to believe that a person her age would not know when to hold her tongue and show a little self-control. Although Leonie began to tone-down her jarringly sarcastic petulant outbursts, I had already been left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I just did not like her, and did not care what happened to her. This, combined with the grating narration from Leonie's point of view, not to mention an incredibly bleak apocalyptic vision of Leonie's future bestowed upon her by her father early on in the book, caused me to decide not to finish--I had already decided she and her smart mouth deserved whatever horrible fate was awaiting her at the end of the book. Not one I would recommend, which was very disappointing. If Leonie's early outbursts had been reigned in, she would have had much more rooting value, and this book would have had much more promise.


View all my reviews

No comments: