Monday, May 21, 2018

The Shadow Queen

The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I truly enjoyed this book. It was a wonderful combination of adventure, fantasy, and romance. The heroine, Lorelai, went on a believable journey of growth as she came into her own, learned to use the skills she possessed, and became the woman she was meant to be. Kol, who helped her on this journey, was also an excellent companion as he grew and changed into someone worthy of his birthright. The path both of these characters took as they developed was well-paced and well-thought-out. None of their actions or statements felt out-of-place, too fast, or too convenient. Both characters had to grow up, face personal demons, and learn to trust themselves (and each other) in order to take their place in the world.
Which brings me to the setting. The world-building in the novel was very good. The setting and descriptions really helped bring the reader into the world of the characters, with their different countries. The author's use of language for place-names, characters' names, and the spells used was wonderful.
The growing relationship between Lorelai and Kol also moved at a good pace. It felt very organic and natural, not at all forced. By the end of the novel they ended up at a very believable place, and it was very satisfying for the reader.
My favorite quote from the book came from Lorelai, as she was making the momentous decision to face her greatest enemy:
"I don't feel courageous." She turned toward the west.
"I just see what needs to be done, and there's no one else to do it. No one else who can fight Irina with the weapon she's used to destroy Ravenspire. It has to be me. That doesn't make me a warrior. That just makes me the best tool for a necessary job."
That quote really spoke to me. Lorelai didn't feel as though she was a hero. She felt as though she had a duty, a destiny to fulfill. And she did her best to complete her task. That her actions made her a hero was just a consequence of her belief that she must do what was right for herself and her people.
My only problem with the novel was some of the words used. "Creepy" was used several times, in a way that seemed too modern for this book. It felt out of place and took me out of the action and jarred me out of the setting of the book. Some of the dialogue by Trugg also seemed to "modern." Some of the things he said just felt very out of place for the world that the author created--as though he was picked up from a show on the CW Network and stuck into this medieval fantasy setting. It felt forced and as though he did not belong.
Overlooking these few issues, I truly enjoyed reading this book. I would definitely recommend this book and this author. I would look forward to visiting this world again in future novels.


View all my reviews

No comments: