Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock #1)

A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I truly enjoyed this book. The author did a wonderful job of creating the character of Charlotte and dropping the reader into her story. This book was fun to read, and I cannot wait for the further adventures of Charlotte and her group of friends, family, and associates.
The author puts the reader right into the story from the beginning, and although it is up to the reader to figure a few things out and make some connections, it never feels as though crucial information is missing or being withheld. The reader is left with a desire to keep on going to uncover the secrets that are being revealed.
The author also does a very good job of describing Charlotte and the personality traits that make her unique without making Charlotte seem wooden or unsympathetic. She was relatable and her actions felt true. She had rooting value. I appreciated that.
At the same time, the author was letting the mystery that Charlotte and others were trying to sole develop and unfold. The pacing was very good, and I enjoyed following along as the characters searched for clues.
This was easily the best Victorian-era mystery I have read in a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The little reveal at the very end of the book really piqued my interest for the next installment in Charlotte's career as Sherlock Holmes. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone looking for a different take on the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, and to anyone looking for a well-written, engaging, and fun-to-read mystery.


View all my reviews

No comments: