Tuesday, May 22, 2018

An Untimely Frost (Lilly Long #1)

An Untimely Frost (Lilly Long #1)An Untimely Frost by Penny Richards
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This would be a good book for high schoolers or young adults. Lilly was a strong female character who did her best to overcome unfortunate circumstances and create her own future. It was interesting to watch Lilly as she applied for a job with the Pinkertons and then began to investigate her first case.
The mystery was good; some things I figured out right off the bat, but other things surprised me.
I did have a hard time really relating to Lilly. I am not sure why, because the author did spend a lot of time describing her and trying to develop her character. Perhaps it was that in my opinion we were told too much about Lilly instead of being shown who Lilly was. I kind of felt as though I was just watching her actions instead of feeling emotionally invested in what Lilly was doing. It was hard for me to really identify with Lilly.
I also felt the author spend too much time describing chocolate meringue pie, how buildings were situated in relation to each other, and how gentlemen's mustaches looked. I am sure these kinds of things were designed to try to bring the reader into Lilly's world, but to me they just seemed superfluous. All of that time should have been spent on humanizing Lilly.
While the premise of the book was good, I just had a hard time really getting into it. It just seemed very superficial to me, and despite effort on the author's part, Lily was just not a relatable character. I might give the second book a chance, but I am not sure.


View all my reviews

No comments: