Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Halls of Law

Halls of LawHalls of Law by V.M. Escalada
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was full of adventure, interesting characters, magic, peril, friendship, and excitement. I really wanted to know more about the characters, their journey, and their world--which meant I had a very hard time putting the book down. The plot, character development, and world-building was all very good and caused me to stay up too late reading more than once.
Ker, the main character, was a strong female and it was very easy to relate to her journey. As she moved from soldier to Talent to something more, I stayed engaged and wanted to follow along. Tel was a great character as well, and I really enjoyed the secondary characters. The world she lived in was a bit confusing at the beginning but then I was able to slip right in and felt like I had a good understanding of the conflicts, culture, and issues facing Ker and her friends. The storyline was exciting, and I kept checking my progress to see how far along I was in the book because I did not want it to end.
My only issue with the story was that Ker's relationship with Tel felt a little one-sided. I had a sense of Tel's feelings for her growing, but not really much from Kerida's point-of-view. Even once they had been caught by their enemies and Ker realized how Tel truly felt about her, it almost seemed like she didn't care or found it to be a hindrance. I really wanted to see more of how her feelings for him grew and changed, even if she didn't realize it was more than friendship until she was faced with losing him. That would have made their captivity and all that happened after even more poignant. I knew she cared, but it almost felt like she was taking him for granted, or helping him out of duty. I just needed a little bit more out Kerida in regard to Tel.
Overall, I think this was a great book and cannot wait to return to their world. I am very interested to see what happens to Kerida, Tel, and all of their friends. I would definitely recommend this book to others.


View all my reviews

No comments: