Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Cross (The Curious Affair Of #2)

The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Cross (The Curious Affair Of, #2)The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Cross by Lisa Tuttle
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is the second book of the series I have read, and I had the same problems with it that I had with the first. I would have liked more fleshing out of the two main characters. They are interesting people, and I really wanted to connect with them on a deeper level. But yet again it felt very two-dimensional, and like the reader was being told about the two detectives instead of being organically shown their characteristics.
The author also spent an undue amount of time describing things like meals, that had no bearing on the story. A whole paragraph detailing the contents, quality, and taste of a meal in an inn really took me out of the story. Things like that could have been left out and more time spent on characterization.
The sub-plot with the mystery and inhabitants of the Shrieking Pits also felt a little tacked on, or like it was wrapped up too hastily.
Overall, I really wanted more from this book than I got. I want to like the characters and get to know them better, but after two books I feel as though I am just friendly acquaintances with them.


View all my reviews

No comments: