Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: The Unforgiven Dead

The Unforgiven Dead The Unforgiven Dead by Fulton Ross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I loved this book. As soon as I finished the first chapter I was drawn in, and as I continued reading I found myself completely immersed in the cold, misty, gloomy, harsh Highlands of Angus "Dubh" MacNeil and his small village. When Constable Angus MacNeil is startled out of sleep by the vision of a gruesome murder, he rushes to the beach in a futile attempt to prevent the crime. The teenaged daughter of an American billionaire has been killed in a manner reminiscent of ancient Celtic ritualistic sacrifice, and Angus must try to find the killer while trying to ignore the ghostly spectors of the dead girl, along with other victims of crimes he could not prevent or solve. With help of old friend Gills MacMurdo, a professor of Celtic Mythology, and old flame DI Nadia Sharif, Angus must do his best to solve the crime before the killer--whoever or WHATever it may be--finds a new victim. Because all the portents point to more death.
The author impeccably creates an atmosphere of isolation, otherworldliness, and eldritch strangeness, while giving a glimpse into a part of Scottish culture/folk history that many may not know much about. The way the author was able to intermingle history, culture, mythology, folk beliefs, AND creepy chilling mystery was nothing short of superb. This book was right up my alley, and I didn't want it to end. If you enjoyed The Wild Hunt, or The Crossing Places The Ruth Galloway Series, then check out this book. The descriptions, suspenseful tension, and attention to Scottish culture make this book a must-read. I really hope there is a second book, because I would love to read more about this place and these people!

View all my reviews

No comments: