Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Review: The Cloisters

The Cloisters The Cloisters by Katy Hays
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I know this book has a lot of hype, and a lot of people are loving it. But I am one of the few who was unimpressed. Although the author did a great job of creating a hot languid summer in a place that almost seemed otherworldly and out of time, the plot and pacing just seemed off and disjointed. At times things moved along at a pretty good pace, but then those situations became a bit irrelevant to the story. Then things that were not actually that big of a deal were dwelt upon quite a bit, and it felt weird. And then things that should have been important were glossed over. It felt like a boring rollercoaster ride through very pretty scenery. I just couldn't get on board (or didn't understand) the whole mystical and unique and invaluable quality of the tarot cards. Which was a shame since that was what most of the plot was based on.
I also had a very hard time relating to any of the characters. Ann was unlikeable, which can be okay as long as she has rooting value or qualities that make her feel relatable. But she didn't. I felt as thought I couldn't connect with her at all. The majority of the other characters were not great people, either.
I would not recommend this book, but I know I am in the minority. The setting and imagery were wonderful, but that's about it...

View all my reviews

No comments: