Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: Midnight Is the Darkest Hour

Midnight Is the Darkest Hour Midnight Is the Darkest Hour by Ashley Winstead
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really tried to like this book, but I was not a fan. The setting and atmosphere really drew me in, and I really wanted to root for Ruth. But it didn't take me long to get annoyed by her, and then to get mad at her. I wanted her to make better decisions and couldn't figure out why she developed no agency for herself until it was much too late. I also really did not like the way she treated Everett. The back and forth of time periods in the narration also ended up confusing me. I was never quite sure of "where we were" when the reader was taken back into the past, and what we were supposed to know at that point, what had or hadn't already happened, and what was going on. I also feel like many threads in the story were left hanging, and I would have liked more development of the "supernatural" aspect. I think this could have been a great book, but there were too many things that I just didn't like, especially when I read the last couple of pages. I understand the author's choice with how the book ended, but it just left me unsatisfied and let down after investing in the story. I'm sure many will love this book, but it was not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: