Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder

The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder by C.L. Miller
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I had to DNF at only 18%. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a cozy mystery or a high-stakes suspense thriller... When an elderly antiques dealer is found dead, his best friend and his former protege attempt to find the truth behind what really happened. I really tried to get into the story, but I had a hard time connecting with the characters and the tone felt really strange (which probably contributed to the fact that I could not relate to Freya or Carole).
Both Freya and Carole kept having internal dialogue (and conversations with each other) about how Arthur was killed because of some terrible shadowy goings-on. The interminable mentions of "Cairo" came across as some kind of 007/cut-throat espionage/deadly spy ring kind of event. But everything else in the story was really giving Miss Marple vibes. So I kept getting confused. And I didn't understand Carole at all. To me she came across as clueless and naive at best, or selfish and self-centered at worst. She bulldozed everyone around her and acted like she knew best in every situation, but she really had no clue about how to interact with people.
But honestly my biggest issue with the book was the fact that is was set in a quaint English village, yet they were eating "cookies" and "fries," talking about their "moms," and using "parking lots." If I'm reading a book set in the UK about characters from the UK I would expect biscuits, chips, mums, and car parks...
Some may really enjoy this book, but it was not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: