Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Review: A Step Past Darkness

A Step Past Darkness A Step Past Darkness by Vera Kurian
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
Sadly, I had to DNF this one. I really enjoyed the author's previous book, and so was interested in reading this one. The first two chapters were very intriguing, but once we skipped to 1995 things kind of fell off the rails for me. As someone who was a sophomore in 1995, none of these "teenagers" felt authentic, and their internal monologues came across as stilted--like something an adult would ascribe to a teenager, instead of organic thoughts and feelings. (And we sure did not know that much about AOL and the internet back in 1995, but maybe that was just me, my high school, and every person I knew...) I just could not connect with the characters because they felt two-dimensional--things were being told and not shown--and there were too many characters to keep track of and not enough action to draw me into the story.
I'm sure there are those who will enjoy this book. Unfortunately, it's not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: