Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: Spells for Forgetting

Spells for Forgetting Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. An unsolved murder with large dose of magic and eerie atmosphere make this a read read for spooky season! I am rounding up from a 3.5 because there were a few loose ends or plot points that I feel like could have used a little more resolution, but all in all this was a really good book.
This is the story of Emery, a woman who has lived on the island of Saoirse, in the Pacific Northwest, her whole life. Saoirse is an island full of magic, from the residents who follow the old ways, to the way omens and portents seem to blow in with the powerful storms. Emery was deeply affected by the death of her best friend Lilly, just after their graduation many years ago. Emery's boyfriend August was suspected of the murder, but was never charged and when he left the island Emery's life was irrevocably changed. Now, after the death of his mother, August has returned to the island to bury her, and dark forces on the island seem to have awakened with August's presence. Will the islanders welcome him or reopen old wounds? Will Emery be able to resolve the feelings she has carried all of these years? And what actually happened to Lilly--will the island let anyone forget?
This book was incredibly atmospheric, from the opening pages. I was drawn right into the slightly eldritch autumnal vibes immediately. From the descriptions to the setting to the characters, the author did a wonderful job of building an immersive world on this isolated island.
The mystery of Lilly was also well-done. I had no idea who would end up being responsible for her death, and have to admit I was surprised with the culprit was revealed.
The island itself and its magic plays a huge role in the story. I really enjoyed that aspect, but once the book was over I realized I could have used a little bit more explanation or examination of exactly what all the magic or forces that inhabited the island entailed. Leaving some of it to the imagination left me with a bit of an unresolved feeling.
Other than that, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a spooky book full of all the fall/Halloween vibes!

View all my reviews

No comments: