Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: The Hunter

The Hunter The Hunter by Tana French
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I loved this sequel to The Searcher. This return to Ardnakelty was superbly written. While the pacing is slow, that serves to fully develop the nuances of the story and characters. And again, as in The Searcher, the setting is as much a character as the people inhabiting the village and countryside, and the hot dry weather adds to the atmosphere. Trey, Cal, and Lena are just as well-developed in this book as they were in the first, and I really enjoyed reading about their journey, even if I didn't always agree with their decisions. The introduction of Trey's father was well done, as well as how he fit into the fabric of the townland. The pacing in this book was also slow, but I don't think it took away from the story in any way. It really made me savor the dialogue and action, and reluctant for the book to end. And of course, I really tried hard to not like Mart (especially after the last book!), but I just couldn't help it--he is a wonderfully intriguing and deceptively simple character. I really hope we get more books with these people, in this setting. I would absolutely recommend these two books.

View all my reviews

No comments: