Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: Death Under a Little Sky

Death Under a Little Sky Death Under a Little Sky by Stig Abell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I am rounding up a bit on this one. The cover and description might make you think this is a suspenseful detective novel in which the isolation of our protagonist adds to a slightly creepy and unnerving tone. But you would be incorrect. This is actually a very very VERY slow-moving cozy mystery. You might could even call it less of a mystery and more the story of a man finding himself and discovering what he is capable of all on his own.
I was reminded a bit of Tana French's The Searcher while reading this, because both books have similar themes of men who have left their old life behind and are seeking out something completely new while learning to depend upon themselves--and then a mystery pops up. While The Searcher does this better, in my opinion, I still found myself enjoying this book. But I will say that if you are looking for something that focuses more on mystery, suspense, and exciting plot points, you should probably avoid this book. I usually look for those things myself, but I must have been in just the right mood for this book while reading it. Because under normal circumstances, descriptions of building chicken coops, constructing saunas, "washing" clothes in a lake, and large portions of time spent in solitary retrospection related in MINUTE detail would just bore me. But in this case I kept reading and stayed interested.
I am not sure if I will end up reading the next book in the series. I do know that if I do, I will have to go into it ready to read a book with a much slower pace than I am usually wont to read.

View all my reviews

No comments: