Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: Playing It Safe

Playing It Safe Playing It Safe by Ashley Weaver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I must say I was very trepidatious going into this book, because I enjoyed the first book in the series A Peculiar Combination and did NOT enjoy the second book The Key to Deceit. I decided to forge ahead with this installment, however, and I am glad that I did.
Ellie finds herself sent off on an undercover mission by Major Ramsey, and is instructed to lie low until he can join her (while Felix is off in Scotland, thank goodness!). Upon arrival, Ellie narrowly escapes death, witnesses another death, and tries to befriend some very suspicious characters--all within the first few hours. Once Major Ramsey arrives on the scene they attempt to ferret out some spies/forgers while maintaining their cover of a newly acquainted couple pursuing love during war-time uncertainty. Will they be able to foil the German plot while maintaining their cover, and can they deny their growing feelings for each other?
This third book in the series was so much better than book 2, and I am glad that I gave it a chance. The plot moved along much better, and while Ellie still had quite a bit of inner monologue going on throughout the story, it did not feel as heavy and cumbersome as it did in the last book. The book does have a particular tone that the reader has to get accustomed to (as well as the fact that Ellie always seems able to find a way to get herself out of precarious situations--ones that she puts herself in), but once the reader nestles into the story these things can be overlooked.
Personally, I also really liked the fact that Felix played a VERY small role in this story. I will admit I am Team Ramsey, and I enjoyed the development of their relationship in this book!
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys light and/or cozy mysteries, wartime novels, or plucky heroines. If you are on the fence because you maybe didn't like The Key to Deceit, go ahead and give this book a chance--I am glad that I did.

View all my reviews

No comments: