Monday, June 17, 2024

Review: The Princess and the Scoundrel

The Princess and the Scoundrel The Princess and the Scoundrel by Beth Revis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am definitely rounding up on this one. 2.5 stars. I was so disappointed.
From the cover and the marketing, this looks and seems like it should be, if not a romance novel, at least the story of the culmination of Han and Leia's epic romance. It was not. If you are looking for a straight-up Star Wars book, then maybe check this out. If you want to read about the maturation of Han and Leia's relationship, look elsewhere (Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia, maybe? I mean, it's been a good 25 years since I read that one, and I know a lot of people hate it, but who knows...? After reading this book, I am definitely giving the old one a re-read).
I was very excited to read this book. Even though Han and Leia didn't really have much actual "romance" in the OT, I have always really enjoyed their relationship. Going into the book, I was not expecting "Star Wars smut" by any means (to me that would almost be blasphemous!), but I was expecting Han and Leia to realize they have a viable, lasting connection and that their relationship should definitely progress further. What I got was Han proposing early in the book and then Leia agreeing to a marriage pretty much the next day because the "optics" were good for the galaxy. They didn't really talk to each other about their feelings about the wedding (before, during, or after!). The ceremony was nice, but a lot of time was devoted to describing Ewok marriage rituals and not much time was spent on Han and Leia themselves! Then they were sent on a luxury star cruiser--for their honeymoon? no--on a goodwill ambassador mission to spread the word that Emperor Palpatine was truly dead and that everyone should support the old "Rebellion." At this point the book really lagged. I spent the whole time feeling sorry for Han that Leia ignored him, worried more about being a politician, and didn't really seem to care much about him. It began to feel like I was reading about two completely different and new characters, and not the scruffy-looking nerf herder and the blaster-wielding princess who resisted Vader's attempts at torture that I have loved since childhood. I began to skim, and even considered not finishing the book. At about 50% through the action and story began to pick up and finally got interesting, but again, the "romance" was sadly lacking. Han and Leia spent little time talking to each other, and waaaay too much time having inner monologues about whether or not they really had a strong relationship, whether or not they truly knew the other one, and whether or not they were or should be mad at each other. By the end I was skipping pages and was ready for the book to be over.
When you really think about Han and Leia's relationship, they actually spent very little time together between the beginning of ESB and the end of RoTJ. Han was frozen for a long time! So, according to the book, these two go from "I like nice men" on an asteroid to married couple in (what would be to Han, at least) just a matter of several weeks. It didn't feel organic at all to me. I would much rather have had these two be just engaged throughout most of the book. They could have spent time TOGETHER, cementing their relationship while fighting against remnants of the Empire (the plot was pretty weak here, too. The "big baddie" felt tackled on). Then their Ewok wedding could have occurred at the end, and given (the illusion at least, according to the sequels, of) a happily ever after in the closing pages that would have been much more satisfying.
This book is NOT a romance, in any sense of the word. It makes me very disappointed that this is "canon," now. To make matters worse, as the book progressed I began to not like Leia at all. Which is sad, because she was my hero growing up! So much about this book was disappointing. Even if you go into it only expecting some good old fashioned Star Wars action and adventure, the story itself is weak. I felt very let down, from the characterizations and character development, to the pacing and plot. Honestly I am mad that I spent money on this book. It will definitely be going to the library as a donation or the the used bookstore. Not impressed AT ALL, and I do not recommend!

View all my reviews

No comments: