Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Review: The Midnight Feast

The Midnight Feast The Midnight Feast by Lucy Foley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I was disappointed by this book. I should have absolutely loved it. There was a mystery, a slightly eldritch setting, and elements of folk horror. But there were also way too many POVs and it made the story feel a bit choppy and abrupt--it definitely affected the flow of the storytelling. I also felt like I didn't have enough opportunity to connect to any of the characters; the only one who was well-drawn and I felt like I had a connection with was Francesca, and she was incredibly unlikeable, with absolutely no redeeming qualities or rooting value. It was pretty obvious the direction the story was moving in, so any feeling of tension or suspense fell flat. I found that I was not that invested in the story or the characters, and felt underwhelmed when the book was over (and the ending/wrap up was a bit much). I would not recommend this one. And I might skip out on the next book by this author.

View all my reviews

No comments: