Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Review: The Luminaries

The Luminaries The Luminaries by Susan Dennard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I tried to like this book, but I just couldn't. The author did a good job of creating a creepy spooky atmosphere, but nothing actually happened in this book! The plot was sluggish at best. Things that should have been a big deal and carried a great deal of resonance with our characters were glossed over. There was way too much telling and not showing. I got fed up with Winnie. And the teeth clicking--seriously?!
This book was a huge let-down, because nothing interesting or exciting truly happens until the very end. So would I recommend this book? No. Not unless you don't mind wasting your time reading book 1 and can immediately go on to book 2 in the series in the hopes that Winnie stops clicking her teeth, gets a clue, and takes some initiative...

View all my reviews

No comments: