Thursday, August 19, 2021

Review: White Ivy

White Ivy White Ivy by Susie Yang
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This was a hard book for me to get through. The beginning chapters, in which we are introduced to Ivy, were quite good and really made me feel for this young Chinese immigrant whose parents' expectations of her are stifling and perhaps unrealistic. But once Ivy graduates from college and the reader meets her again, she is still acting like a middle-schooler. She has not grown up at all. She is selfish, short-sighted, self-centered, and not a pleasant person. I really did not want to read a whole book about her, and found myself skimming pages. By the end of the book, I was underwhelmed.
This story was written well, and Ivy was compelling in a sordid kind of way. But she was terribly unlikable, and I when I finally read the last page, I found myself wondering, "What was the point of all that?" I don't think I would recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: