Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: Half Sick of Shadows

Half Sick of Shadows Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I know a lot of people are loving this book, but it was just not for me. I thoroughly enjoy Arthurian legend and retellings of the familiar stories, so I was really looking forward to reading this, but I had a very hard time getting through it. The storytelling style of jumping back and forth through time, from the past to the present, with glimpses of the future thrown in, just made me frustrated and impatient. Others may enjoy the feeling of impending doom that this created, and find that it contributes to the pacing and way the story unfolds, but I just did not. Knowing what was going to happen to the characters in the future just made me want to hurry up and get there, so I could see how the characters were going to deal with the events and circumstances that were to come. But constantly flashing back to the past made me keep thinking, "Ugh. Let's move on!" The characters were compelling, and I am sure not very many will agree with me on my feelings about the book, but to me, knowing that awful things were going to happen and having everything drawn out so much really made me not enjoy the book. If things had moved in a more linear, chronological manner, I think I would have liked the book more.

View all my reviews

No comments: