Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: Hostage

Hostage Hostage by Clare Mackintosh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
Let me say I was hesitant to read this book, because I HATE flying. But Oh. MY. GOODNESS. This book was so good.
The story of a Mina, a flight attendant on the inaugural nonstop flight from London to Sydney, who suddenly faces a hijacking situation is tense, thrilling, action-packed, and thought-provoking. It's hard to talk too much about it without giving away important plot points, but I will say that the moment Mina discovers that her plane has been hijacked is just tip of the iceberg. Mina knows her young daughter Sophia, who is supposed to be in the care of her estranged husband, is in serious danger, and the worry about Sophia adds another important layer of real terror to the book.
I wish I could say more, but I really don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the story. I will say that the plot, the characters, the motivations and the story are very well-done. Everything moves along to a very thrilling conclusion. I thought I had things figured out about 1/3 of the way through, then decided I had to be wrong about my suspicions, then I thought I was right again, then back and forth again! And the ending was exactly what the story called for.
I would absolutely, definitively recommend this book!

View all my reviews

No comments: