Thursday, August 19, 2021

Review: Curse of the Specter Queen

Curse of the Specter Queen Curse of the Specter Queen by Jenny Elder Moke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I was very excited to read this book--it sounded like a great book: a young girl who works with old books embarks upon a journey to Ireland with old friends to uncover a mystery that could lead to the next Great War. It stared off in a very promising manner, and I was carried along on the adventure of Sam and her friends, from the destruction of her bookshop to a thrilling escape by train to the sister ship of the Titanic on a transatlantic voyage. But as the action continued, it became less and less believable. At first, as things became a bit unrealistic, I told myself that this was an adventure story, and things might be a bit far-fetched, but they needed to be exciting. But by the middle of the book, actions by the characters began to be completely unnecessary and strange. Major plot points were based upon things that made no sense. I couldn't figure out why the characters were visiting certain locations, or running from various people. Things got confusing because I couldn't see the reasoning behind the characters actions. I was extremely disappointed. There are many who may enjoy this book, but the plot points were too flimsy and characters too unorganic for me. I ended up skimming by the end of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments: