Thursday, August 19, 2021

Review: The Mitford Murders

The Mitford Murders The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I did enjoy this book, but it took me a bit to get into it, because I feel it is perhaps mis-categorized. I'm not sure exactly what genre I would put it in, but it is not a mystery--or at least not entirely. While there is a mysterious murder that unfolds throughout the book and is eventually solved, a great deal of time is also spent on the new young maid/nanny brought into the Mitford family, how she ended up in their employ, and how she fits into the household. It is a very interesting look into life just after WWI, and I would urge readers to keep that in mind. Do not expect a cozy mystery that will be solved by a plucky heroine. But you will find a captivating look into society, both above and below stairs, in England just after the Great War, with an undercurrent of mystery for extra spice.

View all my reviews

No comments: