Thursday, August 19, 2021

Review: To Love and to Loathe

To Love and to Loathe To Love and to Loathe by Martha Waters
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I was not a fan of this book. I read the first book in the series, and while I didn’t love it, I felt like the problems I had with it could easily be fixed, so I was willing to give this book a try. I shouldn’t have. It was almost like the author was trying too hard to imbue every scene with witty repartee and clever comebacks, and it got boring. I found myself not caring about the characters or what they were doing. I also felt like the “bet” plot point was flimsy. (He knew his former mistress was infuriated with him, but he still took her disparaging comments to heart?) I had no desire to find out how the MCs’ journey to each other wound end. And soooo much time was devoted to backstory, especially that of side characters, that I found myself skimming paragraphs before I was a quarter of they way into the book. I really don’t like to rate books that I do not finish, but this is an exception. At 30% I was having to force myself to keep reading, so I just stopped. As a fan of Regency Romance, there are much better books out there.

View all my reviews

No comments: