Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: The Therapist

The Therapist The Therapist by B.A. Paris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I'm rounding up a bit on this book about a couple who moves into a house in which a brutal murder occurred a few years earlier, because I did enjoy it. It wasn't amazing, but it was good.
The book does have a few flaws, mainly with the main character Alice. She was just so naive and so gullible and so heedless that I kind of wanted to yell at her...often. She'd get an idea into her head and just so fecklessly run with it that it got very annoying. She literally suspected everyone in her neighborhood of being responsible for the murder of Nina, the therapist who'd lived in the house before. Literally everyone. With little to no evidence. And then she'd run off accusing him or her of foul and evil deeds. And then wonder why people were getting upset with her and growing suspicious of her. I kept thinking, "Stop! Why do you think what you're doing right now is a good idea?! Take a minute! Take a breath--think about how illogical you are being right now!" And on top of that she would ignore or be completely oblivious to things that were glaringly suspicious and should have made her stop and think.
All that being said, the redeeming factor was that everyone else in the book was telling Alice the same thing. So while it was frustrating, it helped to know that EVERYBODY was getting frustrated with Alice as well.
Due to the fact that there were MULTIPLE red herrings (most of them recklessly chased down by Alice), I didn't see who the true villain was until very late in the book. I had no idea what was going to happen. Other readers may see it much earlier than I did, but when I did figure it out, it was a shocker.
This was a quick, easy read, and, if you can handle Alice, I would recommend it for anyone who wants a fun suspenseful thriller book for the beach or a weekend getaway.

View all my reviews

No comments: