Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: The Death of Jane Lawrence

The Death of Jane Lawrence The Death of Jane Lawrence by Caitlin Starling
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This book just wasn't for me. I should not have read it. I was worried about that going into it, because I am not a big fan of horror or really scary books. But that was not why I didn't like this one.
The first 1/3 or 1/2 was actually pretty creepy and frightening, and I surprisingly enjoyed that part.
The book lost me once Jane embarked upon her personal and VERY very very solitary journey into magic and finding the power of that magic inside herself. At that point the book just got repetitive (One horribly graphic description of swallowing the contents of an egg is enough. Really.), esoteric, a bit boring, and hard to follow. It was just too much for me. I skimmed and skipped a lot. This part of the book could have been cut down quite a bit and it would have made a much tighter, more meaningful story. The "big" chapter towards the end was good, but after so much metaphysical rigamarole in the preceding chapters, it kind of took away from the impact. I got a bit confused to tell the truth, and had to go back and reread (reluctantly, I might add). And I still wasn't quite sure what happened and how everything turned out in the end.
I would not recommend this book. I think Mexican Gothic tackled a similar concept much better.

View all my reviews

No comments: