Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: The Perfect Couple

The Perfect Couple The Perfect Couple by Jackie Kabler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I really tried with book, but I did not like it. The characters, the "mystery," the plot--it just wasn't good. Gemma, who returns home from a business trip to find her "perfect" husband missing, was just a bit too naive (maybe "dumb" is a better word?) for me. I just did not understand most of the decisions she made, and the way she would go on and on with her inner monologues about how upset she was, and how she did not want to shower, or how she could not eat got very old, very fast. It was perfectly understandable for her to be upset, but Gemma just became repetitive and boring, instead of a character you could have sympathy for.
The detectives tasked with trying to figure out what happened to the missing Danny, and several other men who had been killed, were not very smart either. They seemed to focus on Gemma and Danny, instead of trying to find the killer of the two men who had been murdered. The author also seemed to spend way too much time on the detectives' personal lives. I assume this was to flesh them out and give them some personality, but instead I just found it boring and irrelevant.
The plot was a bit all over the place, and the reveal of the culprit and the mystery of Danny's disappearance made me say, "...seriously...?..." instead of, "Oh! Wow! Really?!"
I just wasn't impressed with this book and would not recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments: