Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: Realm Breaker

Realm Breaker Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I have mixed feelings about this book. While I did enjoy it and found it well-written, I left feeling a bit unsatisfied. I know this is the first installment to a series, and so many things had to be set up, groundwork needed to be laid, and backstory needed to be built. But I didn't get the sense that our heroes had really accomplished much when I finished the book. I liked the characters, and rooted for them, and enjoyed their journeys. But the book didn't really leave me wanting more--it left me feeling like more could have and should have happened. This was not a quick or easy read, so I felt like I put a lot of time and effort into reading this book and didn't get that much out of it.
I also had a hard time with all of the "geography" in the book. I could not get a handle on it, found it confusing, and wasn't quite sure what was going on--which was a problem since travel was such a huge part of the book.
I really don't know if I will read the second installment of this series. I did like the characters and do want to see what will happen next, but I invested quite a bit of time in this book, and after feeling so unsatisfied, I'm not sure I want to do that again. I would probably recommend it, but will say that readers should go into it knowing that this is NOT a fast read and that they will be left waiting for the next installment.

View all my reviews

No comments: