Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: Never Fall for Your Fiancée

Never Fall for Your Fiancée Never Fall for Your Fiancée by Virginia Heath
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I give this 4.5 stars. I loved this book! I have not read a Regency Romance I have enjoyed this much in years!! It felt like vintage Julia Quinn. The main characters, their chemistry, the plot, the secondary characters--it was all so much fun.
The relationship that developed between the two main characters felt organic and real. The dialogue didn't come across as forced (sometimes authors in this genre try too hard to make witty repartee feel fun, but it just comes across as fake--either too snarky or too flowery), but this was fun, quick, and enjoyable to read.
The reader knows that the house of cards that has been built by Hugh and the conveniently-named Minerva will collapse at some point, but the road to destruction is so much fun. I knew something bad was going to happen at some point, but it did not make me want to quit reading or give up on them.
One other thing I really appreciated about this book was that there was no deep, dark angst. Both Hugh and Minerva had issues that they needed to work through, but the author managed to avoid manufactured misery while still addressing the fact that both characters had some personal demons to conquer.
My only complaint with the book was Vee. She really got on my nerves and I did not enjoy her character at all.
I would HIGHLY recommend this book, and have immediately put this author in my TBR pile!! I eagerly await the next installment in this series. If you are a lapsed Regency Romance reader like I was, check this book out.

View all my reviews

No comments: