Thursday, August 19, 2021

Review: The Hunting Wives

The Hunting Wives The Hunting Wives by May Cobb
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
Nope. I did not enjoy this book at all. I kept trying, because the summary of the book sounded so interesting. But as I read, I kept thinking the main character Sophie would develop some kind of self-awareness and stop her destructive behavior. I have read plenty of books with characters who do questionable things, or who are just unlikeable. Yet, in a good book, these unlikeable characters have something about them that is relatable, or something that makes them compelling and gives them rooting value. Sophie had none of this. She very willingly left a successful career in Chicago to pursue a slower pace of life for her young family in East Texas. And yet she wasn't happy about it. She kept reiterating how isolated, restless, and unhappy she was, but then she would go on and on about how she would spend all morning meticulously weeding her vegetable garden and spend all afternoon creating intricate meals. And these activities were described **in incredible detail.** If she was so unhappy, why was she spending all her time doing things like planting basil to make homemade pesto and devoting herself to the very things she did not like? And when she became obsessed with Margot, Sophie became even more unsympathetic. She made incredibly stupid decision after incredibly stupid decision, completely disregarding her husband or young son. I did not like Sophie at all and found myself not caring what happened to her, because she was acting so stupidly. I would not recommend this book at all.

View all my reviews

No comments: