Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: The Duke Who Loved Me

The Duke Who Loved Me The Duke Who Loved Me by Jane Ashford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book--until the very last chapter. I usually do my best to review books without including spoilers, but I don't think I can in this case.
I loved the characters, I loved how they related to each other, I loved the dialogue and how their relationship developed. The secondary characters were great. The plot moved along nicely. Until I got to the very end. I felt completely let down.
Anyone who reads Regency Romance knows that in almost every book, there is a misunderstanding, disagreement, or wrong assumption between the two main characters, and that causes conflict. Once the issue has been resolved, the two characters can live "happily ever after." And anyone who has read Regency Romance for decades, as I have, knows that often the misunderstanding that has caused all the problems is just something kind of silly, like a misheard conversation or an interrupted conversation, and if the two characters would just take a minute and talk honestly about their feelings, everything would come out alright. In a good Regency, we are rooting for the characters to have the opportunity talk to each other and "have it out," and in a badly-written one, we are just frustrated with the characters, want to scream at them, and wonder why they are so dumb that they can't simply talk to each other. Well, in this book, about 2/3 of the way through, this "misunderstanding" happens when an important conversation between our two main characters doesn't quite go as it should. The thing at ruins this book for me is not the "misunderstanding" itself, but what happens after. (view spoiler)
The ending was terribly underwhelming. I had really enjoyed this book up to that point. The last pages really disappointed me quite a bit. That is why I am taking away a star in my rating. So despite all the wonderful things that went on in this book up to that point, I cannot recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: