Friday, January 7, 2022

Review: A Flicker in the Dark

A Flicker in the Dark A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press.
I am rounding up a bit on this book. This is the story of Chloe, a woman whose father was convicted of killing several young girls when she was young and now in the present-day it seems history is repeating itself. Young girls have started to disappear again and Chloe begins to worry that somehow the events of her past are linked to what is happening now.
The book starts off a bit disjointed and slow. I wasn't quite sure what was going on and I had a hard time really getting interested in what was going on. About half-way through the story started to pick up and really became more interesting and, even though I was pretty sure where everything was headed, I really wanted to see how the author would get us there. Then when there was about 1/3 left, the story got a bit unbelievable again: Chloe, who had never been a reliable or even sympathetic narrator, really started to make dumb decisions and I really wanted to scream at her. Then during the big "reveal," it just seemed tacked on and inorganic. There were so many red herrings that the "truth" just felt underwhelming.
This story had great bones, and at times was compelling and intriguing. But it also was slow, a bit heavy-handed, and aimless in spots. It wasn't an amazing book, but it was pretty good. I would definitely read something else by this author.

View all my reviews

No comments: