Friday, January 7, 2022

Review: The Chateau

The Chateau The Chateau by Catherine Cooper
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I am not sure how to review this book. It was a bit disjointed, included quite a bit of filler and "details" that didn't have much bearing on the story, was full of very unlikeable characters, and the ending left me a bit unsatisfied. And yet...I couldn't put the book down! So I'm not sure how I feel about it.
As the book began, told from Aura's POV, I knew some twists would ensue and as strange occurrences and disturbing events took place I wasn't sure what would happen next. When I got to Part II and saw things from Nick's POV I was delightedly shocked and my opinion of Aura completely changed. I was, however, incredibly confused as to what was going on and how this part of the story really fit into the whole "chateau" premise. When the story finally returned to France it seemed to have lost its flow, and when the second death in France occurred, I was thrown completely off-balance--and not in a good way.
At the conclusion of the book, when the two "twists" were revealed, one left me feeling quite unsatisfied while one made me feel quite the opposite.
This is definitely not the best suspense/thriller I've ever read. But if you want a quick escapist read and can overlook some flaws in logic, then this is the book for you.

View all my reviews

No comments: