Saturday, January 29, 2022

Review: Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead by Elle Cosimano
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recieved an ARC of this book.
I am rounding up a bit on this second installment in the Finlay Donovan series. In Book 2 Finlay is faced with another contract hit, but this time on her ex-husband. She has to figure out how to keep him safe, figure out who put the hit out, deal with dead bodies, juggle the young law student and handsome detective, and get some book pages to her agent while avoiding the wrath of a Russian gangster.
The first thing I can say, is that if you haven't read the first book in the series, you will be LOST reading this book. Read Finlay Donovan Is Killing It before you read this book. There are so many characters and plot points from the first book that I even got a bit confused, and I did read Book 1.
I really like Finlay and her madcap adventures, and in the first book in the series, although everything was a bit over the top, I was able to suspend belief and go along for the crazy ride. But for some reason in this book, all of the car chases, dead body parts, impersonations, and close calls were just too much for me, and took away from my ability to enjoy the story. Maybe because in the first book Finlay and Vero had an air of incredulity and "why is this happening to us?!" about everything that made it *kind of* believable, but in this book they just seem to take a deep breath and handle it all without missing a beat, even though some of their decisions are questionable (how do you miss a whole torso in your trunk, and then why would you put it in your washing machine...?). I also wanted a little more out of Finlay's relationships with both Julian and Nick. I know Finlay is realizing she doesn't have to have a man in her life, but these two guys are part of what makes the books so engaging. The resolution of the book was just a bit far-fetched for me, as well. BUT, I was absolutely left wanting to know what would happen next after I read the last sentence.
So, because of all that, I am rounding up from a 3.5 for this book. But it is still a quick, fun read about a very engaging character and all of the crazy things that happen to her. If you enjoyed Book 1, then I would check out Book 2, but just be prepared that you might not enjoy it as much. AND I will definitely read the next book because the characters are so engaging.

View all my reviews

No comments: