Monday, September 28, 2020

The Wife Upstairs

The Wife UpstairsThe Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I would give this 4.5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, other than knowing it was based on "Jane Eyre," and reading the title. What I found was a modern soapy psychological Southern thriller about the mysterious disappearance of a wealthy self-made life-style brand maven and the young girl with a shadowy past who (perhaps?) inadvertently seems to take her place. While one of the mysteries in the book is pretty obvious--just read the title--there are other things going on that the reader can't be sure about until the very end; new tidbits are revealed throughout the book. Is there someone upstairs? How did she get there? Why is she there? Who put her there? Who is in danger? Who is the villain? I had a very hard time putting this down. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mysteries, thrillers, domestic suspense, or books about the South. I loved it!


View all my reviews

No comments: