Monday, September 28, 2020

Magic Lessons (Practical Magic: #0)

Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0)Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This was an interesting book. I am not sure what exactly I think about it. I enjoyed the first half. It was engrossing to watch Maria grow from a young girl in England, learning about healing and helping those in need, to a teenager in Curacao trying to find her way in the world while being true to herself. When I got to the middle of the book, however, Maria made MULTIPLE decisions that were just plain stupid. I really wanted to yell at her and shake her by the shoulders. After about the sixth awful decision I just stared rolling my eyes and really began to dislike Maria. I started to feel like she was incredibly selfish, short-sighted, and not very smart. I kept reading though, and towards the end of the book I began to change my feelings. It also helped when I reminded myself that Maria was still a teenager when she was making all of her terrible decisions.
I have not read the other two books in this series, and only saw the movie version of "Practical Magic" many years ago. Reading this book definitely made me want to go back and see how Maria's actions in this book went on to affect her descendants centuries later.


View all my reviews

No comments: