Monday, September 28, 2020

A Golden Fury

A Golden FuryA Golden Fury by Samantha Cohoe
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I got about 1/3 through this book and was not impressed. So I came to Goodreads to see what other readers thought. And when many of them said the last half of the book was no where near as good as the first half, I thought to myself, "Wow--I don't even like the first half!"
This book was not for me. I felt like too much attention was paid to the alchemy aspect and not enough to the characters. There were numerous long descriptions of ancient alchemical texts and old philosophers and chemical processes, which was good as it showed an attention to detail on the author's part. Despite all this, I did not feel as though I had a handle on the bigger "world" that the author was trying to build. It felt as though it was being taken for granted that the reader knew how alchemy would fit into 18th century Europe. The characters also felt flat to me and didn't have much rooting value. I didn't feel like I knew them. I don't think I would recommend this book.


View all my reviews

No comments: