Friday, July 24, 2020

The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy: #1)

The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy, #1)The Lost Queen by Signe Pike
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a little tough for me. I wanted to absolutely love it because it is based on the authentic historical figures who have basis in Arthurian legend. And for the most part it was pretty good. The plot and setting were very interesting, and I think most people do not realize that there is quite a strong basis for "Arthur" hailing from Scotland. But my biggest issue with the book was our "heroine," Languoreth. I just really did not like her. She seemed actually quite dense, unappreciative, impetuous, and self-centered. Her decisions were just dumb. I kept wanting to yell at her, "Why are you doing that? Don't you know that's stupid and obviously not going to end well--for anyone?!" The middle of the book takes place when she is 14/15, and most of the important action and events take place during this time. So I guess that is the one "excuse." I just kept reminding myself she's barely 15 and being forced to make adult decisions. But it would have helped, I think, if the author had found ways to subtly remind the reader that Languoreth was so young. That would have seemed more realistic when she kept making immature and selfish decisions. For the last part of the book she was older, and while she was still a bit impetuous, but it was easier to relate to her.
This book was well-researched and I enjoyed the beginning and ending of the book, but I did not especially enjoy Languoreth. I will read the next installment in the trilogy because I am interested to see how all of this plays into the "history" of Arthur, and I am hoping we get to move the focus to characters other than Languoreth.
If you like Celtic mythology, Dark Ages Britain, Arthurian legend, and history, you may recommend this book. It is worth it if you can trudge through the main character's early teen years...


View all my reviews

No comments: