Thursday, April 11, 2019

Those People

Those PeopleThose People by Louise Candlish
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
Having read another book by this author I was excited to read this book. It was original and I did not want to put it down, but in the end I was left a bit unsatisfied.
When new neighbors move in to the house at the end of the street, the rest of the people in the surrounding houses are taken aback, first because they didn't realize the house was even for sale, and then because these new people just don't seem to fit in. They play loud music at all hours, keep junk vehicles in their yard, don't abide by the neighborhood "rules," and are standoffish at best--rude at worst. The resentment the original inhabitants of the neighborhood grows and escalates, causing tension in their own personal lives. And then one day someone loses their life. The first half of the book deals with the weeks leading up to the suspicious death, and the second half deals with the aftermath and the search for the truth behind what really happened.
The author does a great job creating the people who live on this street, and their motivations behind keeping their neighborhood a safe haven. The story threads and plot are woven well through the 1st half, if not the first two-thirds of the book. But when the book begins to move toward its conclusion, and the mystery begins to be unraveled, the story begins to feel underwhelming. I kind of had the feeling of, "Hhmmmm...oh well!" What should have been a twisty-turny exciting ending was not that at all.
It was not a bad book, it was just not an amazing book. I would recommend it if you enjoy mystery and domestic thriller novels. And I will read more by this author.


View all my reviews

No comments: