Thursday, April 11, 2019

Special Agent Maximilian

Special Agent MaximilianSpecial Agent Maximilian by Mimi Barbour
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

As a newcomer to the Romantic Suspense genre, I was looking forward to reading this book, because it sounded very interesting. A man finds out he has an identical twin and then discovers he must impersonate his FBI agent twin in order to solve a crime, along with his twin's partner.
The story just started off rocky for me, however, and never really recovered. We were told a lot of things in the story--the twins' backstory, the personality traits of each character, the development of relationships--instead of being shown. That took away from the emotional connection to the story and the characters. Also the way the characters talked felt jarring and unnatural. There were way too many exclamation points at the end of statements, and things that just did not sound like something a normal person would say in the course of an actual conversation. The two main characters attraction to each other also felt very inorganic and forced. I found myself skimming by halfway through.
I would not recommend this book and will not read anyting by this author again. I was disappointed.


View all my reviews

No comments: