Monday, April 1, 2019

Every Last Breath (Final Hour: #1)

Every Last Breath (Final Hour #1)Every Last Breath by Juno Rushdan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a fun quick read. I don't read too many romantic suspense novels, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one, and would like to read more by this author.
Maddox is a covert black-ops officer who finds herself tasked with stopping a dangerous mercenary from handing over a virulent strain of small-pox to a terrorist. Her only option for success in her mission is trusting Cole, the man who broke her heart and devastated her world years earlier. Both Maddox and Cole must learn to put their feelings aside in order to hunt down their enemy and save the United States, and the world. They might just be able to resolve their issues and find a way to trust each other again.
I enjoyed this book. Maddox and Cole were relatable (as much as incredibly fit, well-trained back-ops officers can be!). But their actions and motivations seemed organic and realistic. I usually don't enjoy books in which the characters share a past that the reader was not privy to, but in this case their past was revealed in a timely manner and did not slow down the story or make me feel as though I was missing out on anything by not knowing was was going on from the beginning.
The action also really added to the story. Sometimes descriptions of fights or hand-to-hand combat can get boring or seem like filler. The author did a great job of describing the actions scenes in a way that helped the reader picture what was happening and contributing to the personalities of the characters.
I liked the secondary characters as well. Maddox's team was made up of people who I would like to read more about, and the villain was appropriately scary and borderline psychotic.
The chemistry between Maddox and Cole also contributed to the story and helped the reader feel a connection with the characters. I believed their relationship was complicated, intense, and unavoidable.
I would definitely recommend this book to fans of romantic suspense, and I would also love to read the next books in this series.


View all my reviews

No comments: