Friday, October 8, 2021

Review: The Mother Next Door

The Mother Next Door The Mother Next Door by Tara Laskowski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I am rounding up a bit on this review. Was it an amazing book? No. But was it a fun, easy read that quickly satisfied my desire for a fall-themed thriller full of secrets and lies? Absolutely. The Mother Next Door takes place in an upscale neighborhood on an exclusive cul-de-sac full of a group of moms who most everybody else in the neighborhood envies. They stick together through thick and thin, and Theresa, who recently moved to the street, would love to join their clique. When Theresa seemingly gets her wish, she discovers that the moms may not all be quite what they seem, especially the "Queen Bee" Kendra. But Theresa has some secrets in her own past that could not only threaten her standing with her new friends, but also could destroy her life as she knows it.
One of the best things about this book was the fact that it is set in the lead-up to Halloween. It begins just as the school year starts, and then concludes with the annual epic Halloween neighborhood party thrown by the moms of the cul-de-sac. I found it a perfect read for this time of year, to get you in the mood for all things fall. That being said, the descriptions could have been more immersive--if you are looking to feel transported to a place full of crisp breezes with brittle leaves dancing in the air, creepy moonlit mists, and the smell of cider, this isn't where you'll find it. But pretty much everything you would associate with fall is mentioned, from pumpkin coffee to candy corn to inflatable lawn decorations to slasher movies to backyard bonfires. But as I stated, it felt as though these things were thrown in with an intended "casualness" that didn't quite hit the right note (almost like there was a check list of things that should be included in the book). These things really made me see and smell and FEEL the season.
My favorite character in the book was Kendra. I feel like her motivations and personality were really explored well. I knew where she was coming from, and even if I didn't always like her actions or agree with her decisions, she felt like an engaging character. I had a hard time relating to Theresa, however. She just felt a little flat to me and I couldn't connect with her. The problem this created was that, as the reader, I was supposed to sympathize with her and feel her anxiety... But I didn't. And this may be a spoiler, but--(view spoiler)
The plot was good. I followed along on Theresa's journey to fit in as the school year progressed through bake sales, football games, and committee meetings--all while someone is out there threatening the tenuous status quo of Theresa's new neighborhood. I guessed a couple of the secrets and twists, but some were a complete surprise. I did like the ending; it felt like if fit the tone of the book very well.
I have read other books that evoke that feeling you get in autumn much better than this book did. I have read thrillers that really ratchet up the tension better than this book did. I have read books about seemingly idyllic neighborhoods that reveal the painful reality behind the "perfect" residents better than this book did. Which made me want to give it 3 stars. BUT...over-all I did enjoy this book quite a bit! It was fun. It was a quick read that kept me wanting to know what would happen next. It really got me in the mood for fall. It had just the right amount of "soapy" elements to keep me entertained without making me want to roll my eyes. The characters might have been slightly one-dimensional, but sometimes you want a book like that! (SO many books have tortured, deeply flawed, terribly complex characters these days that a break from that can be nice.) So, because I liked the book, despite its shortcomings, I am giving this 4 stars. If you are looking for a fun, light thriller to get you ready for Spooky Season, then I would recommend this book

View all my reviews

No comments: