Thursday, October 21, 2021

Review: The Ex Hex

The Ex Hex The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
I saw this book everywhere and was looking forward to reading it, especially at this spooky time of year. A "witchy" romance sounded like the perfect read for Halloween. But the book just did not meet my expectations. At all.
The main premise of the story, that Vivi and Rhys had such an amazing relationship 9 years ago that they have not been able to forget or get over each other, is kind of flimsy given that they were 19 years old at the time, and only "dated" for 3 months. The reader isn't really given much context for their past "relationship" either, other than they were extremely attracted to each other. Did they share their hopes, dreams, plans for the future? Did they even TALK to each other?
When they do see each other again and spend more time together, I just was not detecting any chemistry or attraction. I felt like I was TOLD over and over how much they were attracted to each other instead of being shown how their relationship was evolving.
This book had all of the great Halloween vibes and all of the pumpkin spice caramel apple jack-o-lantern black cat spookiness you could want...but the characters felt two-dimensional. I would not recommend this book. It was just "meh" for me.

View all my reviews

No comments: