Monday, February 25, 2019

Song of the Abyss

Song of the AbyssSong of the Abyss by Makiia Lucier
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book.
This was a quick, easy read. I chose it because it sounded interesting, with a YA Fantasy theme. The story involved a strong young woman who knew what she wanted in her life and did what was necessary to achieve her goals. In training to be a master navigator, Reyna is serious about her studies and apprenticeships. After pirates attack her ship and she narrowly escapes, she encounters the young prince of a rival kingdom. Upon returning home she finds people she loves are in danger from the same pirates and must team up with the prince in a harrowing adventure to try to rescue her loved ones, with the fate of all of their countries in the balance.
While this book was full of lush descriptions of various countries and geographical locations, this story still felt as though it could have used more depth. I did like the character of Reyna as well as her prince and the secondary characters, but I don't feel as though much character development went on. The plot, while exciting, just didn't seem as rich as it could have. The many dangerous situations that the characters found themselves in didn't really feel very suspenseful or threatening. There was romance, but it definitely was not one of the highlights of the book.
I did like the fact that this was the second installment of a series, but I did not feel as though I was missing out on any backstory or world-building. This could be a stand-alone book.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light, quick read. The book could have used more depth and character development, but for someone who enjoys strong heroines, adventure, geography, and YA Fantasy, this would be an enjoyable, fast read.


View all my reviews

No comments: